Phase 1: Introduction to the Expectation Phase
On Expectation Phase of Healing, the student and her family learn New Haven’s rules, boundaries, structure and other expectations. The student and her family are learning about family and societal expectations and applying them into their daily actions. Locus of control is external in this phase of healing and supportive environmental structure and supervision is needed.
1. Have your peer mentor share with you what her top 10 values are. Talk with your Values Coach about how the conversation went.
2. Write down 5 fun facts about yourself and share them in a Community Meeting or General Group.
3. Find a quote that is meaningful to you in relation to Expectation. Share what it means to you with your Values Coach, and in a Community Meeting or General Group.
4. Write down at least four goals you would like to accomplish while at New Haven. Share them with your Therapist.
5. Personalize your Values Binder to represent your future self. Incorporate your four goals in some way.
6. Complete the testing requirements as explained on the Testing Instructions sheet (page 1.1).
7. Complete the Values Binder Test (page 1.2).
8. Sign the Safety Contract with your Therapist and the Lead Supervisor (page 1.3). Vocalize your commitment to safety in a Community Meeting or General Group.
9. Complete School Requirements.
10. Have an initial phone call with your Therapist.
11. Share five fun facts about yourself with your Therapist.
12. Write down at least four individual goals that you personally would like to accomplish while at New Haven.
13. Complete the Parent Manual self-test, as well as the Informed Consent section of the Parent Manual, and scan or fax them to your Lead Supervisor.
1.1 | Testing Requirements
Within two days of your admission, the testing administrator for your house will meet with you to help you complete your testing. You will take some of your tests on paper, and some of them on a computer.
- SASSI (5-15 min)
- EDI (5-15 min)
- Sentence Completion (10-20 min)
- Client History (20-25 min)
ONLINE TESTING - DONE AT SCHOOL
- MMPI (1 – 1.5 hrs)
- MACI (20-30 min)
- FICS (5-15 min)
- NATSAP (5-15 min)
- RADS-2 (5-15 min)
When you’re done with all of the tests, have your Lead Supervisor sign off the requirement on your Expectation page.
1.2 | Values Binder Test
Answers to these questions can be found in the Student Manual sections of your Values Binder.
- Please list three of the six areas that New Haven’s philosophy is based on.
- What does Locus of Control Mean?
- On what Phase can you participate in private lessons?
- T or F : I am only allowed to have an electric razor to shave my legs.
- Please list three “symbols” that New Haven discourages in the Dress Code.
- On what Phase can you wear Jewelry?
- T or F : On Exploration Phase, I can go on “fun passes”.
- When might it be a natural consequence for a Therapist to place you on Therapy Special Status?
- Who makes up your Master Treatment Plan?
- T or F : You are allowed one phone call home each week.
1.3 | Safety Contract
By signing this contract I signify that I am both physically and emotionally safe to myself, and those around me. I understand that I am expected to learn the rules, participate in therapy, complete my admissions assignments, and work with the Treatment Team on establishing my Treatment Plan.
I understand that I must ask permission to go anywhere and do anything. I understand that I may not be alone until I reach Exploration Phase.
I understand that if I harm myself or another person or animal or if I damage the facility purposefully in any way, that I may be again placed on Safety Phase.
Please download and sign the following document.